All Good Things Must Come To An End

As you all know, I have been doing WordPress plugins and supporting it for the past 6 years. These 6 years of my life, I have been through my polytechnic education, my national service as well as my university education.

I just graduated from university in December 2009 and have been looking for full-time jobs. I am offered a full-time job and will be starting work on 1st February 2010.

I regret to say that I am NOT ABLE to provide support for my plugins anymore due to my full-time job commitment. I will leave this forum open and let the community help one another.

However, I WILL still update my plugins whenever I can and you still can report bugs to me via email and I will try to fix it.

Author Topic: Warning: Your backup folder MIGHT be visible to the public!  (Read 71375 times)

Offline Gazoo

• View Profile
I had this problem and this is how I solved it.  Maybe it can help others.  I received this warning after upgrading to version 2.50 today (I did not have this warning before):

"Your backup folder MIGHT be visible to the public

To correct this issue, move the .htaccess file from wp-content/plugins/wp-dbmanager to /home/username/commondork.com/wp-content/backup-db"

I didn't have an .htaccess file in /wp-content/plugins/wp-dbmanager.  So I created one in the backup-db directory using the information from this post http://forums.lesterchan.net/index.php/topic,1489.0.html.

The easiest way to do this is to copy the code provided by the link above into a file named htaccess.txt then transfer that file to your backup-db directory.  Once it has been uploaded simply change the name of the file from htaccess.txt to just .htaccess.  Browse to your backup-db directory and you should see a 404 error now instead of a directory indexing.

I hope this helps anyone having a similar issue.

Thanks!

Offline aerynlynne

• View Profile
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up.  :D

Offline GaMerZ

• lesterchan.net
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • WordPress Version: WordPress 3.0.x
  • Theme Name: lesterchan.net v3.4
Thanks for the heads up, for some reasons WordPress remove my htaccess file. I have rename it to .txt and in the readme.html I will ask user to rename the file.

++ lesterchan.net - Lester Chan's Website

I regret to say that I am not able to provide support for my plugins anymore due to my full-time job commitment. I will leave this forum open and let the community help one another.

Offline tipunch

• View Profile
Just to say that even after having placed the htaccess file in the backup-db directory and renamed it as per instructions, the red warning box and text still displays at the top of the extensions admin page. Just a cosmetic inconvenience because the directory IS unreadable. 

Offline GaMerZ

• lesterchan.net
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
If you want to remove the message,

Find and Delete:
Code: [Select]
add_action('admin_notices', 'dbmanager_admin_notices'); in wp-dbmanager.php

I regret to say that I am not able to provide support for my plugins anymore due to my full-time job commitment. I will leave this forum open and let the community help one another.

Offline Dimenster

• View Profile
I had the same problem as tipunch so I guess I need to add delete the code?

Offline ghosttie

• View Profile
I have the same problem - adding the .htaccess didn't stop the message

Offline worldviewpr

• View Profile
I also found this meesage and followed the instructions.

i already had a .htaccess.txt file in wp-dbmanager folder so I

checked it...it had the recommended script

I then

moved it
renamed

then I removed the

add_action for admin notices lester prescribed and the nag disappeared.

wp 28
customized revolution

Offline GaMerZ

• lesterchan.net
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Due to some issues, WordPress SVN do not allow me to have .htacess in the zip file. So I have to put htaccess.txt and you all have to rename it to .htaccess

Offline ericlooi

• View Profile
For some reasons, I already did what it states which is:

Moving the .htaccess file from wp-content/plugins/wp-dbmanager to /home/username/public_html/mydomain/wp-content/backup-db

But still same message there. Any clues?

Offline GaMerZ

• lesterchan.net
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Warning: Your backup folder MIGHT be visible to the public!
« Reply #10 on: 16 June 2009, 11:02 »
Perhaps the script do not have read access to the folder. You can remove the nag if you are sure about it. It is on this thread 5th message

Offline scene360

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 June 2009, 13:10 »
I resolved this simply with adding the file to the folder on one site, but on another site on the same server the message keeps coming up. So only deleting that notice line in wp-dbmanager.php, will it resolve the issue.

Offline jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 June 2009, 11:50 »
I managed to do it by changing the htaccess file name to .htacess in backup-db directory. Just adding the . in front of the htacess filenmae removed the message nag. Is this a right way? How do you check whether your directory is secure?

Offline GaMerZ

• lesterchan.net
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 June 2009, 13:39 »
Yeap. To make sure it is secure, just type in the URL to the backup folder in the browser. You should see a 403 forbidden message.

Offline steve.anderson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 June 2009, 01:41 »
I was able to move the htaccess.txt file to the backup-db folder without any problems. I was unsure on the url I should enter to check to see if it was secure, could someone tell me what path I should type in?. My site is http://easy-renegade.com. Thanks.

Steve

Offline GaMerZ

• lesterchan.net
  • Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline rrhobbs

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 July 2009, 23:01 »

alternately, I found that deactivating the plugin and editing the line mentioned below with a hash (#) remark got rid of the notice as well.

If you want to remove the message,

Find and Delete:
Code: [Select]
add_action('admin_notices', 'dbmanager_admin_notices'); in wp-dbmanager.php

Offline jrivera401

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 July 2009, 02:16 »
The problem is you need to specify the full path, not just the sites root path in your Db Options

/home/username/public_html/wp-content/backup-db

To everyone else saying this is unstable or useless plugin shame on you... please uninstall it now and move along.

Thanks GamerZ for a wonderful plugin.

PS: Password 8 characters? Upper and lower case? image verification? number verification? and email validation? a little too paranoid are we :)

Offline GaMerZ

• lesterchan.net
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 July 2009, 02:33 »
jrivera401: I got a flood of spam bots over a period of time lol

Offline ChristianRussell

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 July 2009, 17:02 »
I moved .htaccess to the new folder and then renamed from htaccess.txt to .htaccess. The error message went away by itself. No need for editing out the error message. I'm not sure why you'd want to remove that line; won't it prevent further messages in the future? Anyway, I find this plugin a helpful time saver and very valuable. It's free; I don't understand complaining about a free tool. Having to dig in and figure things out every once in a while is all you need to do. This forum is also free and answers nearly everything you could possibly want to know. Geesh! ;D